Tuzigoot National Monument
The Tuzigoot National Monument sits atop a ridge high above the Verde River. Tuzigoot is the remnants of one of the largest pueblos built by the Sinagua. Tuzigoot, an Apache word meaning "crooked water," was built between 1100 and 1450 AD and consisted of two stories and 110 rooms.
Tuzigoot was excavated from 1933 to 1935 by the University of Arizona, with funding from the federal Civil Works Administration and Works Project Administration. In 1935–1936, with additional federal funding, the ruins were prepared for public display, and a Pueblo Revival-style museum and visitor center was constructed. President Franklin D. Roosevelt designated Tuzigoot Ruins as a National Monument on July 25, 1939. Within it, the Tuzigoot National Monument Archaeological District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.
The visitor center contains a fine display of Indian artifacts, most of which have been found on-site. The Monument is open every day of the year (except Christmas) from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.